Photo

High Sierra -- Storyist crashing upon quitting?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CartoonMike

CartoonMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

Pretty much describes it. I'd have a good session writing (>30 minutes, for example) and then I quit Storyist. Then the next time I start up Storyist, I get one of those "Quit Unexpectedly" dialog. 

Anybody else getting these?

I've looked over the files I was working on and I haven't seemed to lose any data. The files are stored in the Storyist folder on my iCloud account. The files open OK on my Desktop and iPad just fine. 

====

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

====

#2 Steve

Steve

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

Hi CartoonMike,

I haven't seen this, but would be happy to investigate. The next time it happens, please submit the crash report from the "Quit Unexpectedly" dialog and add a little note to let me know the crash was yours.

-Steve

#3 CartoonMike

CartoonMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:03 PM

Will do. Thanks. But now that I mentioned it, I probably won't get the crash again. 

====

====

#4 Steve

Steve

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

Isn't that always the case?  :)

-Steve

#5 Marguerite

Marguerite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

This may be out of left field, because I haven't had this particular problem with Storyist and High Sierra, but I have run into problems with InDesign CS6 and the latest version of iTunes (12.7?) running on High Sierra, including exactly the behavior you describe.

I don't even need to be playing music for ID to slow to a crawl and crash on exit; if iTunes is running, that's enough.

It happened once before with iTunes and Microsoft Office, otherwise I'd never even have thought of the possibility.

Best,

Marguerite

<p style="text-align:center;">Storyist 3.5; OS 10.13, Intel iMac 3.06 GHz 12GB RAM, 64GB iPad 3, iOS 9

#6 CartoonMike

CartoonMike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

This may be out of left field, because I haven't had this particular problem with Storyist and High Sierra, but I have run into problems with InDesign CS6 and the latest version of iTunes (12.7?) running on High Sierra, including exactly the behavior you describe.

I don't even need to be playing music for ID to slow to a crawl and crash on exit; if iTunes is running, that's enough.

It happened once before with iTunes and Microsoft Office, otherwise I'd never even have thought of the possibility.

Best,

Marguerite

Thanks for the insight, marguerite! I tried opening Storyist and iTunes (once having Storyist be  the first app started and then iTunes being the first app) and doing about 10 minutes of writing (thankfully I have lots of transcription from hand written pages to key in!)  and then quitting Storyist, waiting about 3-5 minutes and starting Storyist up... Having iTunes open doesn't seem to be an issue for me using Storyist at the same time. 

However... in context of what I was doing, I was importing a lot of Scrivener-created files into Storyist and maybe that caused the error... something I can try out later today or tomorrow. Gotta meet me writing goal for the day.

====

====

#7 Marguerite

Marguerite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

You're welcome! Sorry it didn't solve the problem, but I did remember after posting that I had encountered such behavior occasionally in Storyist under Mavericks (I upgraded directly from Mavericks to High Sierra). Something would cause a crash, and Storyist might report itself as shutting down unexpectedly two or three times in a row, even when I was quitting normally. So it may have nothing to do with the new OS.

Best,

M

<p style="text-align:center;">Storyist 3.5; OS 10.13, Intel iMac 3.06 GHz 12GB RAM, 64GB iPad 3, iOS 9

#8 thewitt

thewitt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:44 AM

I'm not seeing any issues like that, but I do get delays and what feels like memory leaks after long writing sessions.  I have to quit and restart to get Storyist back to the snappy performance I and used to.

My manuscripts are large... The latest is 177,000 words.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users