I have a project where I do free writing each day in a new chapter changing the manuscript file monthly.
Normally I get things together a few days before the start of the month with a couple of chapters in place with sections in the new manuscript.
This evening when I started the prepared October's manuscript the section index card was there but there was no # indicator.
Adding a couple more sections did not bring the first section indicator there.
Was able to resolve the issue by putting a section around the original one and then deleting the new ones.
Ended up with a single section and an indicator as expected.
Have noticed this once before but other than that can't remember much about that incident. Think it was when I started back with the new iPad.