3 replies to this topic

#1 DanStank

DanStank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

Good Morning,

First, I would like to caveat by saying, I appreciate the added ability of PDF file creation inside Storyist.  

Second, I spent the morning playing with the new features and it still has some bugs.

a.) The Blurb (pdf) templates add about 6-8 extra pages to the project. Normally, I wouldn't say anything, but Blurb operates by a pay-per-page model. So, adding extra pages equals an unnecessary increase in production cost.  

Third, converting over to any of the pdf templates is NOT straight-forward...

a) extra spaces, centered objects now left aligned, etc.

B) Yes, I know the majority of these issues are minor. A few toggle buttons correct 75% of the problems, but what about a simple  'What you see is what you get (WYSIWYG)' template option?

I provide this feedback only for the benefit of Storyist developers to improve their product. I use Storyist frequently and I am truly happy with the product. 

Thanks,

Dann 

#2 DanStank

DanStank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:48 AM

Why aren't the Blurb Templates available to me before I publish? It would be nice to have the format to work in, too? 

#3 Steve

Steve

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

Hi Dann,

Thanks for checking out the new features! Be sure to also check out the two new tutorials:

Both tutorials include sample projects.

a.) The Blurb (pdf) templates add about 6-8 extra pages to the project. Normally, I wouldn't say anything, but Blurb operates by a pay-per-page model. So, adding extra pages equals an unnecessary increase in production cost.

Storyist adds blank pages so that the PDF conforms to Blurb's specifications:

• Files must have an even number of pages,
  • Page counts for 5x8 and 6x9 books must be divisible by six.

To see the full list of requirements, visit the Blurb PDF to Book page and click on the "Review PDF Settings" tab.

By the way, if you were to upload a PDF that didn't meet these specifications to the Blurb site, their verifier would warn you of this and offer to add the blank pages for you (so you'd still pay the same amount :)).

These requirements may sound odd, but there is a method to the madness. The page restriction is due to the way the books are printed. You'll find a nice writeup in this article: Understanding and Working with Print Signatures

Converting over to any of the pdf templates is NOT straight-forward...
a) extra spaces, centered objects now left aligned, etc.
B) Yes, I know the majority of these issues are minor. A few toggle buttons correct 75% of the problems, but what about a simple  'What you see is what you get (WYSIWYG)' template option?

When building the PDF, Storyist applies the styles from the template you've chosen. If you don't want this to happen, simply uncheck the "Apply formatting from template" checkbox.

A WYSIWYG template would be a nice addition.

Why aren't the Blurb Templates available to me before I publish? It would be nice to have the format to work in, too?

You can import the template files into the project by clicking on the Action (gear) button in the Files table and choosing Advanced > Import Template to Project.

If you do this, you'll have access to the style sheets, and can edit the files and use them as a basis for your own PDF template.

-Steve

#4 DanStank

DanStank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:23 AM

Thank you for the responses!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users