template novel writing markup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stefano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:25 PM

Hi. I'm a new Mac Storyist user. I'm trying to create a customized novel template, but I don't have idea about to set a common markup layout (like margin, orientation, etc.). In right row I see "No format inspector". How I can to set a new one across entire novel? I also would like the possibility to rename a template previously created. Thanks in advance. (Sorry for my bad English, I'm still learning it)

Attached Files

#2 Steve

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:59 PM

Hi Stefano,

Welcome to the forums.

The format inspector appears when you select a text file (not a folder). See the attached screenshot.

To set up your template:

1. Edit the text styles to reflect your formatting preferences.
  2. Save the text file as a template using the File > Save as Template command. That way, the settings will be as you like them the next time you create a text file.

From your current template, it looks like you're trying to organize your manuscript into separate text files. Most Storyist users keep their chapters and sections in a single text file and use a heading-level style (like Chapter Title) to mark the chapter boundaries. Here is a screenshot. (See the Novel project template for details.)

If you do want to keep your chapters in separate files, you'll want to use text files instead of folders. See the below:

There is a downside to doing it this way, and that is that while you can assemble the separate files into an ePub or Kindle edition, you can't currently assemble them into a single PDF or text file/

#3 Stefano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:21 PM

Thanks awfully Steve. Very helpful.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: template, novel, writing, markup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users