Just got done with my first 4 pages...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Serpententacle

Serpententacle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Writing Novels (or pretty much anything), reading, traveling, listening to music, dining & spirits.

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

Well, I just logged in my first 4 pages of my script (using Storyist for this one), and I'm calling it Poet For Hire. It's a dark comedy/farcical horror. These first four were pretty easy, despite the fact I slaved for over eight hours of soul crushing work (occupation) just prior to writing.

Are we going to have a Script Frenzy 2011 section? Or am I the only one on these forums participating?

See you on The Front.
—JMK

#2 Thoth

Thoth

Ultimate Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:37 PM

Well, I just logged in my first 4 pages of my script (using Storyist for this one), and I'm calling it Poet For Hire. It's a dark comedy/farcical horror.

Congratulations! Comedy/Horror is tough.

Are we going to have a Script Frenzy 2011 section? Or am I the only one on these forums participating?

A Script Frenzy 2011 forum is up to Steve. None of my usual writing buddies (including Steve), nor myself, have logged any pages yet, but it's only Day One. I did notice a Golden Ticket by Steve's name so he is a contributor. (Yea Steve.)

I'm probably not entering this year (time, the economy, blah blah blah) so I'll just wish you luck and see you at the Rear.
- Thoth

#3 Steve

Steve

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

Hi Serpententacle,

Congrats. Just starting on my pages now.

This year, I'm going to collaborate with my 10-year-old son. It sounds like we're writing Star Wars meets Pokemon at the moment. Should be interesting. He's really into it.

Sorry it took so long to get the 2011 forum set up.

-Steve

#4 fizchick

fizchick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

I've got 7 total so far!

Thanks for the warm welcome back, Thoth and Marguerite! I felt all the warmth here- I think it was in the 80's this week. Nice.

And welcome aboard, Serpentacle! Great start!

Thanks, Steve for getting the thread here!

I am really having fun, feeling guilty a little that I'm not doing the bulk of the work Storyist this time, but with paper and markers, pencils and maybe some glitter at the end...yeah, some glitter at the end. This is a graphic novel... but I suppose that was obvious...

onward ho...

- Fiz

#5 Thoth

Thoth

Ultimate Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

A great many purely textual works could have been greatly improved by a little glitter at the end, Fizzy.
You go, girl. Best of luck.
-Thoth

#6 Serpententacle

Serpententacle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Writing Novels (or pretty much anything), reading, traveling, listening to music, dining & spirits.

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

Nice...

Thanks for getting this Script Frenzy Section going. I'm fixing to take a grasp on day 2...

That's awesome to collaborate with your son, Steve. Sounds like a success. Pokemon meets Star Wars... can't go wrong with those 2 winners.

Ciao.
—JMK

#7 Thoth

Thoth

Ultimate Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

This year, I'm going to collaborate with my 10-year-old son. It sounds like we're writing Star Wars meets Pokemon [script] at the moment. Should be interesting. He's really into it.

How did I miss this! Go going Steve. This could be a wonderful bonding experience with your son (unless he gets bored with the actual work of writing 100 pages). Be sure to print it out so that years from now (after computers are outlawed) you can both re-read it and appreciate the time you spent together.

Better than fishing.
- Thoth

#8 Serpententacle

Serpententacle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:30 AM

Alright... I'm having no challenge with Script Frenzy... so I'm considering devoting my time back to my fiction. I have a novel to revise... Does anyone want to try to talk me into following through with Script Frenzy?
—JMK

#9 Thoth

Thoth

Ultimate Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:44 AM

Alright... I'm having no challenge with Script Frenzy... so I'm considering devoting my time back to my fiction. I have a novel to revise... Does anyone want to try to talk me into following through with Script Frenzy?

Doing four scripted pages a day is only a small part of the challenge. Doing it for 30 days — that's the challenge. Having to produced a completed first draft, under a deadline, that's being a professional (well, that and getting paid). Heck, Serpententacle, you already knew you could write (with your serpent tentacle?) but that alone doesn't prove you can be a writer.

Not really the cheerleader type,
- Thoth

#10 fizchick

fizchick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

What does "no challenge" mean? You enjoy suffering for your art and it's coming too easily? Or you are bored silly and have no interest in what happens to your story?

PS. I've heard Thoth has a closet of pom-poms. Denial is powerful. Don't tell him I told you.

#11 Serpententacle

Serpententacle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:50 AM

Maybe I should have mentioned that I am converting said novel into a screenplay, hence the non-challenge (is this considered cheating?). Upon doing so, I have noticed that my novel needs a massive re-write.

I have, though, decided to continue with Script Frenzy, just so I can impress my friends, and say, "Yeah...I wrote a script." B)

I'm on schedule.
—JMK

#12 Thoth

Thoth

Ultimate Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:11 AM

I have, though, decided to continue with Script Frenzy, just so I can impress my friends...

Good for you. No retreat. No surrender. And for what it's worth, color me impressed.

PS. I've heard Thoth has a closet of pom-poms. Denial is powerful. Don't tell him I told you.

It's a walk-in closet, Fizzy. I've been stealing them for years, trying to complete my collection of a pom-pom from every professional cheerleading squad in America. I sometimes show off my collection to cheerleaders; they're very impressed. Then they smile and back away slowly.

Move to the left. Move to the right.
Jump up and down and write, write, write!
Beeee aggressive! Be, be aggressive!
Yay Storyists!

-Thoth

#13 Marguerite

Marguerite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:12 AM

I don't think that converting your novel into a screenplay is cheating (but then, I wouldn't—I did exactly that last year). Why not use the screenplay to work out the bare bones of the rewrite, or are you already doing that?

If you already know where your novel should go, of course, the script could become a distraction. But the nice part about a script is that you have to focus on the essentials: plot, character, action. What people actually do and say, how they show emotion (including emotions they don't recognize or don't want to admit). Once all that is in place, you'll find it much easier to decide which sensory details to emphasize in your descriptions and settings.
Just a thought,
M
<p style="text-align:center;">Storyist 3.2; OS 10.9, Intel iMac 3.06 GHz 12GB RAM, 64GB iPad 3, iOS 9

#14 Thoth

Thoth

Ultimate Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:21 AM

Maybe I should have mentioned that I am converting said novel into a screenplay, hence the non-challenge (is this considered cheating?). Upon doing so, I have noticed that my novel needs a massive re-write.

Isn't that always the way?
Finishing the screenplay should uncover other points of concern.

"Writing is re-writing." — Forgot who said this.
- Thoth

#15 fizchick

fizchick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:08 PM

It's a walk-in closet, Fizzy. I've been stealing them for years, trying to complete my collection of a pom-pom from every professional cheerleading squad in America. I sometimes show off my collection to cheerleaders; they're very impressed. Then they smile and back away slowly.

Move to the left. Move to the right.
Jump up and down and write, write, write!
Beeee aggressive! Be, be aggressive!
Yay Storyists!

See?! Thoth is the Storyist unofficial cheerleader. There is a whole fan page devoted on Facebook just to his closet of pom poms... those cheerleaders love him. From a far...

Thanks for your honesty and cheering skills here, Thoth. We are indeed a lucky bunch.

-Fiz

#16 fizchick

fizchick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

Getting to the mid- month mark, but not quite...I found that my enthusiasm waned... and then the force of will power got me to the desk and 10 pages came along...

Anyone else slumping a little? Enjoying? Blissful?

#17 Steve

Steve

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:05 PM

Getting to the mid- month mark, but not quite...I found that my enthusiasm waned... and then the force of will power got me to the desk and 10 pages came along...

Yep. David and I are a little behind. Almost time to break out the Deleted Scenes trick.

-Steve

#18 Thoth

Thoth

Ultimate Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

Yep. David and I are a little behind. Almost time to break out the Deleted Scenes trick.

What's the Deleted Scenes trick?

Inquiring minds what to know.
-Thoth

#19 Serpententacle

Serpententacle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:01 AM

I'm on cruise control, but almost lost a day's worth because I just bought a new bike. I was having too much fun zipping around town... yet I'm back on and about 5 pages ahead of schedule.

Congrats on the 10 pages.
—JMK

#20 thealtruismsociety

thealtruismsociety

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Back to basics.

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:05 AM

Decided not to do it this year, I'm on the third rewrite on a script I started in Jan. (Actually it's the one I did last year.) I really want to finish it and not worry about starting a new one. But not sure if I will do that or NaNoWriMo anymore. They were great when I had no motivation to write but now I don't have that problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users